Saint Nicholas Cathedral in Novogrudok

Saint Nicholas Cathedral in Novogrudok

Адрес

Grodnenskaya street, 4

Saint Nicholas Cathedral (also named as St. Nicholas church) was built in Novogrudok in 1780 as St. Anthony Catholic Church at the Franciscan monastery.
The Franciscans appeared in the region in 1323 by the personal invitation of the Lithuanian Grand Duke Gediminas. But the first Catholic church was built here only 100 years later. Initially, it was made of wood, and in the late Baroque - from stone. The architecture of the church of St. Anthony was characterized by a certain asymmetry, however, despite this, the temple was very compact.
All construction work was completed in 1780. But in 1831 the Franciscans were forced to leave the monastery. Later it was transferred to the Orthodox Church. In 1846 St. Anthony Catholic Church become an Orthodox Church of St. Nicholas, named in honor of the Russian Emperor Nicholas I. 
Soon there was a fire in the temple, and it was restored in 1852. Despite this St. Nicholas Church has preserved its Baroque foundation - hree-nave basilica with a three-sided altar part. But the initially not high bell-tower was transformed: received more typical for the Orthodox churches dome in the form of bulbils on an octagonal drum. Two twisted stairs hidden in the thickness of the walls, led to the belfry.
Monastery building is located close to the St. Nicholas Church. It is  It is a separate two-storey building with a loft in its south wing, where there is a stone staircase leading to the second floor. The premises in the monastery have corridor type. It has cross and cylindrical vaults. Now there is a Sisterhood in this building.
Since 1991 after the restoration of Novogrudok Orthodox eparchy the Church become the Cathedral. Up to now here is marble memorial plaque of judge of Novogrudok. Also here is icon of "Hodegetria Mother of God".

Звоните, чтобы заказать +375 44 502 30 02
Отправить заявку

Достопримечательности Беларуси

Памятник Адама Мицкевичу

Адам Мицкевич - польский поэт, публицист, деятель национально-освободительного движения Польши. Он является одним из трех величайших польских поэтов эпохи романтизма наряду с Юлиушем Словацким и Зигмунтом Красинским.

Подробнее

Руины Новогрудского замка

ул. Замковая

Одной из главных достопримечательностей Новогрудчины являются руины древнего замка.
Новогрудский замок (замок Миндовга) был заложен на месте городища, на Замковой горе - высоком, частично насыпном холме, который был окружен рвом.

Подробнее

Новогрудский Фарный костел преображения господня

ул. 1-го Мая, 17

Новогрудский фарный костёл Преображения Господня является памятником архитектуры эпохи Великого Княжества Литовского. Костел был построен великим литовским князем Витовтом в конце XIV века в готическом стиле.

Подробнее

Новогрудский Свято-Николаевский Собор

ул. Гродненская, 4

Свято-Николаевский собор или, как его еще называют церковь Св. Николая, был возведен в Новогрудке в 1780 году как костел Св. Антония при монастыре францисканцев.

Подробнее

Новогрудская Борисоглебская церковь

ул.Почтовая, 10

Борисоглебская церковь (официальное название - Собор святых мучеников-страстотерпцев благоверных князей Бориса и Глеба) - памятник готической архитектуры эпохи Великого княжества Литовского XVI века.

Подробнее

Музей Адама Мицкевича

ул.Ленина 1

Дом Адама Мицкевича – музей, расположенный в Новогрудке, на месте, где когда-то проживали родители известного польско-белорусского поэта, публициста и общественного деятеля.

Подробнее
Населенный пункт
Тип достопримечательности
Область
ru

Форма заказа

Оставьте Ваши пожелания
и наши менеджеры предложат Вам лучшие варианты